The Department of Gardening was established in 2004 under the auspices of the Faculty of Agriculture of Herat University. The purpose of the establishment of this department is to train and educate people in horticulture and horticulture professionally, taking into account the scientific criteria of this field. Every year, many students are introduced to this department after graduating from the theoretical and practical lessons of the country and giving it to the agricultural community of the country. This department, with a refreshed curriculum, teaches subjects in the field of gardening, such as fruits, vegetables, flowers, ornamental plants, in theory and practice.
The existence of greenhouse vegetables in warm and cold season, the greenhouse of flowering ornamentation, plastic tunnel greenhouses, saffron research farm with an area of 200 square meters, a farm for the cultivation of tired stones and laboratories, including the facilities of the Department of Gardening.
Objectives of the Horticulture Department
1. Training of Expert and Technical experts in Horticulture fields.
2. Familiarizing students with modern systems of cultivation and breeding of garden plants.
3. Renewal of curriculum in accordance with the curriculum with regard to scientific research
4. Increase scientific research in the garden area due to the increase in the quantity and quality of garden products.
5. Advancement and development of garden planting systems among the community.
6. Applying the appropriate technology in collecting, processing, packing, sourcing and standardizing garden products
7. Providing appropriate methods for planting, breeding and harvesting garden plants.
8. Producing of quality garden products from a quantitative and qualitative look.
9. Keeping garden products from diseases and pests.
10. Improving the Technical and Vocational Skills of students in the field.
11. Researching and application of gardening science.
13. Providing services and provide the necessary scientific advice to farmers and investors interested in garden development to further develop this science.
14. Development of various gardening fields in a special way.
15. Identifying various local varieties of garden products and develop their cultivation with regard to scientific criteria.
16. Searching for the problems of the agricultural community of the country and find the appropriate solutions for it.
17. Replacing modern agriculture rather than traditional agriculture.
18. Providing scientific advice for the establishment of refrigerating rooms for garden products.
Pharmaceutical and Laboratory Facilities of the Horticulture Department
- Warm and Cold Season Greenhouse Vegetables:
The Department of Horticulture has two greenhouse vegetables in hot and cold season with an area of 600 square meters each. In these greenhouses, vegetables are grown seasonally. Students and professors have an active role in managing the cultivation of these vegetables.
The presence of these greenhouses in the scientific and research activities of the professors and also in adding practical experiences of the students has a direct effect, as each year students of this field will cultivate garden vegetables from the planting and harvesting stages to scientific and practical skills. Tree cucumber and Roman tree are among the important products that have been started in the greenhouses for two years and so many students have gained scientific and practical experience in the field.
1. Greenhouses for flowering Ornamental Flowers:
The existence of a greenhouse for the flowering of ornamental plants is among the other facilities of this department. In the greenhouse there are about 50 types of ornamental flowers under cultivation. Seed, cuttings, shoots, shaping, decorating, designing and designing of amusement parks including the practical activities are carried out through this gallery with the help of students under the direct supervision of the professors of the Department of Gardening.
1. Saffron Farm:
Two pieces of saffron farm with an area of 500 square meters have been cultivated for 5 years already. Teachers and students have an active role in fostering this valuable product. Practical activities such as fertilizing, cooking, collecting saffron flowers, processing and drying saffron are among the activities that are carried out in the Saffron field.
1. Stone fruit Farm:
The area of this farm is one acre. The farm has stone fruit such as apricots and plums. Practical work is the recognition of the botanical characteristics of trees, breeding, planting, irrigation and other activities necessary for practical applications in this area.
1. Raising Grapes Vine:
A total of 300 yarns of grape vine on the sidelines of the scientific and research farm of the Faculty of Agriculture, except for the practical part of the Department of Horticulture, which provides the necessary practical work on it. Students in this section also have an active part, as they do their practical work every year because of their level of awareness in breeding grapes vine.