Quality Assurance Department
Internal Quality Assurance Unit – IQAU
Establishment of the Internal Quality Assurance Unit based on Proposal No. 209 of Herat University, 2016/12/12 and Decree No. 5772/6381 dated 10/20/1992 was honored by the Ministry of Higher Education in Herat University. The center was established to enhance the quality of capacity building and the quality of assurance process at Herat University and is equipped with the HEDP World Bank project. Currently Ali Ahmad Kaveh is responsible for the internal quality assurance unit of university, he has been a member of the Quality Assurance Committee of Herat University since the beginning of the quality assurance process.
Goals and Purposes
The main goal of the internal quality assurance unit is to grow the quality assurance culture at the university. Its specific purposes are as following:
• institutionalize the quality assurance culture in accordance with national quality assurance and accreditation guidelines and international custom;
• Ensuring that the university's quality assurance processes are designed in accordance with the quality assurance and accreditation guidelines of the Ministry of Higher Education and National Requirements;
• Developing, maintaining, and improving the quality of education and people's views on supporting the university through consistent quality assurance practices;
• Build an image of the university that demonstrates transparency, accountability and good performance across all management departments; and
• Preparing the university in accordance with the regulations and external quality assurance and accreditation requirements.
Function of Internal Quality Assurance Unit
The main functions of the internal quality assurance unit will be as following:
• Facilitating the mission and goals of the university to improve the quality of teaching and education and to consider global trends in quality education;
• Providing guidance and assistance to programmatic departments, such as departments, faculties and institutes of the university, in defining the goals of their programs;
• Develop standards and benchmarks for various academic and administrative activities of the university;
• Organizing workshops, seminars and training programs appropriate to the capacity building and growth of the quality assurance culture at all levels of the university;
• Facilitating OBE efficiency-based training programs, and SCL-based student learning throughout the university, using technology in teaching and learning processes;
• Review existing processes to further improve teaching and learning,
• Assisting academic programs and units in setting up self-assessment, external review and implementation of quality assurance processes;
• Facilitate the accreditation of new and existing programs through quality assurance processes;
• Development of a database for quality assurance information that is accessible to all stakeholders.
• Develop five-year institutional quality assurance plans and ensure compliance, monitoring and evaluation of its achievements. The plan is being developed by the Institute's Quality Assurance Committee after being approved by the Quality Assurance and Accreditation Department of the Ministry of Higher Education.
• Preparation of annual quality assurance audit report and its submission to the quality assurance department after approval of the quality assurance committee of the institution;
• Providing materials to enhance the quality of education and teaching in the University's Strategic Development Plan;
• Provide advice and guidance to the university administration, universities and departments on quality improvement and related issues; and
• Provide detailed budgeting of the university's quality improvement unit.