Education Faculty was established in 1957 in Herat City as Darulmualemin (Teachers Training Institute) and since then it has graduated thousands of qualified and professional teachers for education sectors. In 1972 it was upgraded into Teachers Training Higher Institute, and in 1986 into Pedagogy Institute with three departments (Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and Languages) graduating the students with bachelors degree. In 2002 it was transformed into Education Faculty. Currently, this faculty has twelve departments as follows:
- Mathematics Dept.
- Physics Dept.
- Chemistry Dept.
- Biology Dept.
- Persian Language and Literature Dept.
- Pashto Language and Literature Dept.
- English Language and Literature Dept.
- Professional Education Dept.
- Counseling Dept.
- History Dept.
- Geography Dept.
- Physical Education Dept.
The education process in this department is conducted by 67 professors and around 4000 students are studying in various subjects in these 12 departments.
Education Department has various educational facilities such as general library, department-specific library in the departments, laboratories in Science departments, English language and Computer training center and IT Center. It has green area, proper classrooms, and water and electricity system. Education Faculty has elaborated a 5-year development plan, action plan, academic calendar, meetings, educational and policy improvement plan, and plans for each subject.
Education Faculty has the following goals to train young and qualified teachers:
- Capacity building of instructors in terms of their academic and professional level;
- Standardization of educational curricula to conform with national and international standards;
- Provision of modern educational material and inputs to increase quality of education and improve skills of the students;
- Establish Masters degree program under Education Faculty;
- Establish new departments;
- Promotion to be the University of Education;
- Promote social status of Education Faculty in the society.
Education Faculty will be able to:
- Develop the professional and research ability of its professors and students according to national and international standards;
- Increase the academic level of its professors to Masters and PhD degrees;
- Promote scientific and academic affiliation with domestic and foreign universities;
- Standardize its educational curricula;
- Absorb social partnership for academic and physical capacity of the faculty;
- Increase knowledge level of its staff members such as professors and administrative staff to become self sufficient;
- Establish Masters degree under Education Faculty;
- Promote the Education Faculty, based on its requirements and developments, into Education University;
- Train and educate qualified pre-service and in-service teachers;
- Facilitate education using modern technology.
Education Faculty of Herat University began its education activities in 1958, which was called Teachers Training at that time. In various periods it was given different titles such as Teachers Training Center, Teachers Training Higher Institute, Pedagogy Institute and lately Education Faculty. This educational entity has more than half a century history and has covered Herat and its respective educational zone including Badghis, Ghor, Farah and Nimroz provinces to train professional and qualified teachers. Its graduates were appointed as professional teachers for various subjects in schools located in these provinces and their respective districts. Since 2004 it receives students from various provinces through Kankore conducted each year by Ministry of Higher Education. Thus, its activities have been expanded and cover all provinces and education sector of Afghanistan.
Education Faculty have always been active during its existence, and only during Taliban regime, it experienced a recession period (5 years) like other educational centers of the country. Since the establishment of Interim Government a large wave of the students started to enroll in this Center. In 2016 it covers more than 4000 students in four teaching shifts and this number is expected rise to more than 5000 in the following years due to requirements of the society. Students are engaged in educational activities in various departments of this Faculty, and boys and girls can use its educational facilities equally and without prejudice. More than forty percent of the students are and more than thirty percent of the lecturers are female. In 2015 it presented its 58th round of graduates to the society.
Student enrollment in educational entities in the world is done based on accepted standards, one of which is universal national examination (Kankore). These standards are also followed in our county and high school graduates have to pass this exam with the required marks to be able to enroll in higher education institutions. Those who miss the chance to enter state education institutions can enter private education institutions. A student who passes the Kankore with required marks is eligible to enroll in Education Faculty.
Another procedure for enrollment in state education institutions especially Education Faculty of Herat University is through Specialized Examination. Graduates of semi-higher education institutions can enter and enroll in the third year after passing this exam. This procedure is especially common in Education Faculty, so that these students can complete their studies to the bachelor degree.
Night classes are another method designed for the government employees and those who could not continue their studies due to some problems. These students can enter Education Faculty of Herat University after passing the Night Classes Kankore and continue their studies. Thus, students can enter Education Faculty of Herat University through these three procedures.
Before 2016 the lecturers were appointed through competition examination based on requirements. Qualified candidates whose marks were 75 percent or more submitted their applications to the Dean of the Faculty and waited for the examination date. The examination would be held on the determined date in the presence of authorized panel. The successful candidate who obtained the required marks in this examination, in accordance with the Lecturer Appointment Regulation, could be appointed in the Education Faculty through legal process.
After the Higher Education Law was passed in 2016, the procedure for lecturer appointment in the universities of Afghanistan was changed. Now those with Masters Degree can be appointed as lecturer in the universities, and appointment of the lecturers through previous procedure is not possible anymore. The condition for appointment of lecturers is having a degree higher than bachelor degree.
The used education methods in Education Faculty of Herat University are still under the influence of traditional methods, especially lecture method. This method which has a several thousand years old history makes up a significant portion of the educational activities of the teachers and mentors, not only in Afghanistan, but also all over the world. Some changes have taken place in this method and we can transform our teaching method from inactive into active using these changes; this situation is being institutionalized in Education Faculty of Herat University. Lecturers are trying to use real questions and examples in their lessons to make their lessons acceptable and attractive to their students. Along with lecture method, group work, projects and discussions are used as well and these methods are increasingly introduced in educational activities. It is noteworthy that ancillary educational tools especially computers and projectors and educational slides are being introduced in the activities of the lecturers, but due to lack of facilities it has not been generalized yet. It is hoped that in the near future the modern education methods used in other countries of the world can be utilized by our teachers and lecturers too. The teaching method today is significantly different from ten years ago and our lecturers are not bound to old notes and chapters. Our teaching materials are updated and are reviewed and revised each semester.
Education Faculty of Herat University will be developed using the following facilities:
- Having professional and experienced educational cadre
- Having a large portion of young lecturers
- Having an extensive area that makes the promotion to university level possible
- Vast interest of the youth for education and enrollment of more than 1500 male and female students each year through Kankore, Specialized Examination and Night Class Examination.
- Availability of laboratories, library and IT center.
Challenges of the Education Faculty of Herat University:
- Presence of Experimental Lycia inside the Faculty
- Most of the lecturers have bachelors degree
- Lack of library building
- Lack of internet connection
- Limited number of admin and support staff and lecturers compared to the number of students
This Faculty has the following committees along with its 12 departments:
- Academic Council
- Examinations Committee
- Fellowship Distribution Committee
- Discipline Committee
- Conflict Resolution Committee
- Environment Committee
- Quality Assurance Committee
- Trustees Committee
- Research and Publication Committee
Each of the above mentioned committees and the departments will be explained separately. The education system is credit based in Education Faculty and the curriculum is central.
Education Faculty of Herat University, despite having suitable geography and good facilities, is facing with some obstacles and challenges. These challenges are:
- Problem in the appointing lecturers with Masters Degree
- Disproportion between lecturers and students, i.e. there are around sixty students for each lecturer, while the standard is 20 to 30 students for a teacher.
- Due to lack of sufficient number of lecturers, they have to work more than normal level, and this prevents them from research and other academic ctivities and it has a negative impact on their academic career.
- Lack of sufficient number of classrooms has resulted in overcrowded classes and difficulty in managing the class.
- Lack of proper heating and cooling systems in the classrooms is another challenge for making the education environment suitable for students and lectures.
- Presence of Experimental Lycia with more than five thousand students inside the premises of the Education Faculty of Herat University.
- Lack of a modern and well-equipped library and study space.
- Lack of laboratory supplies and experimental material for experiments in biology, chemistry and physics labs.
- Lack of equipments such as computers and projectors.
Based on article 26 of Higher Education Law, the Academic Council is established in the Education Faculty of Herat University in order to better management of its academic and research activities with the following composition:
- Dean of the Faculty as Head of the Council
- Deputy Dean of the Faculty as member of the council
- Heads of the departments as members of the council
- Two members of the academic cadre of each department where the number of academic cadre is not less than five members, elected through free, direct and secret ballot. Otherwise, one member from each department.
Duties and Authorities of Academic Council of the Faculty
- Development of academic organization chart
- Development of education plans and programs and research projects
- Recommendation and registration of academic rankings and promotions of academic cadre members
- Recommendation of appointment and termination of academic cadre members
- Expansion of specialized internal committees
- Recommendation for establishment, expansion, dissociation, merger or termination of departments
- Evaluation of academic activities of departments at the end of each semester
- Recommendation to develop relations with national and international academic institutions
- Appointing a committee to identify qualified candidates for fellowship programs, education programs, academic and research meetings
- Development and approval of internal procedures
- Academic committee can delegate some of its authorities to the internal committees
The members of Academic Council of Education Faculty of Herat University are as follows:
- Pohand Mohammad Juma Hanif, Dean of the Faculty
- Pohanwal Abdullah Zulal, Deputy Dean
- Pohand Najibullah Fariwar, member
- Pohandoi Qahera Rasoli, member
- Pohanmal Abdul Khalil Kahdestani, member
- Pohanmal Basir Ahmad Karimi, member
- Pohanmal Sher Aqa Amiri, member
- Pohanmal Mohammad Ismail Seddiqi, member
- Pohanmal Fraidoon Ikhlas, member
- Pohanmal Qudsia Mastoor, member
- Pohanyar Feroza Saber, member
- Pohanyar Zobair Azizi, member
- Pohyalai Helena Hanif, member
- Pohanyar Shahnaz Temori, member
- Pohyalai Akbar Khan Andar, member
- Pohyalai Abdul Latif Jawed, member
- Pohanyar Enayatullah Enayat, member
- Pohanyar Ahmad Temori, member
- Pohyalai Abdulelah Behnam, member
Academic Council holds its meetings once in a month. The meetings are held on specified agenda and the minutes of the meetings are recorded by the Secretary of the Council. The protocols of the meetings are circulated to the departments and to the Chancellor of the University.
Today’s Faculty of Education was founded in 1957 under the name of Teacher Training Center. Since then, it has trained thousands of professional teachers and dedicated them to the Afghan society. In 1972, the Teacher Training Center promoted to Advanced Teacher Training Center. Directly after that in 1986 it promoted to Pedagogy Institute including three disciplines of Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Languages and finally in 2003 it promoted to what is called now Faculty of Education as a part of Heart University.
In 2016, Faculty of Education started to cover 12 Departments of Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physiscs, Persian Language and Literature, Pashto Language and Literature, English Language and Literature, Professional Education, Councilling, History, Geography and Physical Education including 4000 students. 44 % of these students are male the rest 56 are female. They are taught by 67 teachers including 29 female and 44 male.
Education Faculty has got 3 laboratories of Chemistry, Physics and Biology. It also has a library including 7000 books. A Pedagogy Development Center (PDC) as well as an English Language and Computer Center (ELCLC) are other parts of this Faculty serving for both students and teachers.
This institution uses Credit System to graduate bachelors, offering 135 to 144 units including Monograph provision which must be defensed in the last semester.
Sincerely Professor Mohammad Juma Hanif
Dean of Education Faculty, Heart University
1.1 An Introduction to Faculty of Education
Faculty of Education was established in 1957 under the name of Teacher Training Center. Since then, it has trained thousands of professional teachers and dedicated them to the Afghan society. In 1972, the Teacher Training Center promoted to Advanced Teacher Training Center. Directly after that in 1986 it promoted to Pedagogy Institute including three disciplines of Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Languages and finally in 2003 it promoted to what is called now Faculty of Education as a part of Heart University.
Nowadays, Faculty of Education includes 12 following Departments:
- Persian Language and Literature
- Pashto Language and Literature
- English Language and Literature
- Professional Education
- Geography and
- Physical Education
Around 4000 students, 44 % male and 56% are female are busy studying at this faculty. They are taught by 67 teachers including 29 female and 44 male. Besides, this faculty is equipped with good electric system, IT Center as well as having policy plan with regards to every subject in every department.
Faculty of Education follows the following objectives to train the young generation as professional teachers for our society:
- Improving teachers’ capacity building to higher education
- Standardizing the learning contents in accordance with national and international standards
- Providing modern teaching and learning facilities to improve teaching quality and students’ skills
- Organizing Master Program as a part of other programs
- Developing the Faculty of Education to Education University
- Improving the social level of the Education Faculty in the society
1.3 The prophecy of Education Faculty
Faculty of Education will be able to:
- Standardize its teachers’ professional as well as research skills development
- Improve its teachers education level to Master and Ph.D
- Have correlation to internal and external universities
- Standardize it teaching contents
- Attract social attention to improve physical appearance
- Improve its staff awareness
- Conduct Master program
- Improve from a discipline to a university
- To offer in-service and pre-service professional teacher to the society
- To provide modern teaching and learning situation
1.4 A History of Faculty of Education
Faculty of Education has a history of 59 years. As mentioned, in this period, it has improved from Teacher Training Center (TTC) to Pedagogy Institute and finally to Education Faculty. It covers the west region including Heart, Badghis, Ghoor, Faraah and Nimrooz in its learning activities. The graduates of this institution work in different schools of the region as profession teachers.
Except Taliban period, this institution has always been active and offered thousands of teachers to the society. In 2016, it has a quantity of more than 4000 thousand students studying if four different shifts and this number soon will improve to 5000 thousands and more. Male and female students are studying together without any gender discriminations. More than 40% of the students are female and on the other hand more 30% of the teachers are also female. In 2016, this institution offered it 58th graduates to the society.
1.5 Students’ Acceptance Procedure
Throughout the world, educating institutions accept students based on certain criteria. One of the criteria has ever been the Entrance Test. This is the criterion implemented in our country through which we accept students in our different disciplines. The ones who can not pass this test has another chance to take the same test to private higher education institutes.
Another way of students’ acceptance in educating institutions especially in Faculty of Education is giving students a specialized test. This specialized entrances test is given to the applicants who already graduated from 14th grades of different disciplines. If they pass this test they can complete their education as bachelors here in Faculty of Education.
Finally one more way is night education which is for government staff. They are also accepted through a separate entrance test to continue their education at night shifts. This test is usually given to the government staff or the ones who can not study during the day due to being busy. Thus, it was the three ways that Faculty of Education is accepting students.
1.6 Teachers’ Employment Procedure
Before 2016, the policy of employment of teachers at Education Faculty was based on a competition test given to the qualified applicants whose score average during their bachelor studies was above 75. The applicants were supposed to apply and submit their application to Heart University and wait for the competition test. Finally the test was given by a board of officials to the applicants and the procedure continued to the end.
However, higher education policy has recently change in teachers’ employment procedure. Nowadays, any applicant must have at least master degree in order to be able to apply for the position of teaching at University. It means, now bachelors can not apply for this position anymore.
1.7 Teaching Methodology at Faculty of Education
Teaching methodology at Faculty of Education is still affected by traditional teaching methods especially lecture method. This method which has a long history is also widely used in all over the world and can not be ignored. However, what is important is to use it in its active form, which being done at Education Faculty so these days. Teachers use active lecture in their different classes now. Besides, other methods like group work, presentations and discussions are also used in the classes at Faculty of Education. Teachers also use electric devices such as laptop, projector, speakers in their classes but this is not very common yet. It is hoped that use of technological tools is soon common in all our classes. If we compare our education system to ten years ago, there have been lots of changes and so we are every day working to improve and keep the teaching system updated more and more.
1.8 Facilities at Faculty of Education
Faculty of Education is a good place for learning because of having the following facilities and staff:
- Having professional administrators
- Employing enough young teachers
- Having a larger campus
- Accepting 1500 students yearly
- Having laboratories, library and IT center
- Having social support
- Knowing the challenges of the society
- Having a experience school (for professional purposes)
- Having 12 Departments
- Senate meetings
- Examination committee
- Scholarship committee
- Order and discipline committee
- Living environment committee
- Problem solving committee
- Quality assurance committee
- Research and publication committee
1.9 Current Challenges at Faculty of Education
Although faculty of education has got almost proper facilities, it is dealing with certain challenges which affects learning and teaching process at this faculty. These challenges are as follow:
- Finding master teachers
- Lack of enough guiding teachers for all the students
- Loading teachers with more responsibilities
- Lack of enough classrooms
- Small classes with many students
- Lack of enough classroom facilities
- Not having a criterion library
- Lack of enough teaching material in Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- Lack of enough modern technological tools like laptop, projector and so on which is the biggest challenge of our teachers
1. 10 Senate Meetings
Based on article number 26 in Higher Education Policy Plan, a senate meeting is a combination of the following:
- Dean of the Faculty as the meeting director
- Deputy of the Faculty as a member
- Heads of the Departments as members
- Two of the academic members of every Department as members of the meetings. If the member of a Department is less than 5, only one member is elected for the meeting.
1.10. 1 Prophecy and Authorities of the Senate Meeting
- Designing and managing the academic organization
- Planning the syllabi and research projects
- Proposing and recording academic promotions of the academic members
- Proposing recruitment and disposition of the academic members
- Forming internal specialized committees
- Proposing new Department establishment, improvement, integration etc
- Assessing the Departments activities in the of every semester
- Proposing relations among internal and external academic institutions
- Choosing a committee for recognition of scholarship candidates and learning programs
- Designing and approving of internal procedures
1.10. 2 Members of the Senate Meeting
- Professor M. Juma Hanif, the dean of the Faculty
- Professor Abdullah Zalal, the deputy of the Faculty
- Professor Najibullah Farivar, member
- Associate professor Ms. Qahera Rasuli, member
- Assistant professor Abdul Khalil Kahdistani, member
- Assistant professor Basir Ahmad Karimi, member
- Assistant professor Shir Aqa Amiri, member
- Assistant professor Fraidoon Ekhlas, member
- Assistant professor M Esmail Seddiqi, member
- Assistant professor Ms. Qudsia Mastoor, member
- Assistant professor Ms. Firoza Saber, member
- Instructor, Zobair Azizi, member
- Instructor Helina Hanif, member
- Instructor Shahnaz Timori, member
- Instructor Akbar Khan Andar, member
- Instructor Abdul Latif Javid, member
- Instructor Enayatullah Enayat, member
- Instructor Ahmad Timori, member
- Instructor Abdul Elah Behnam, member
The senate meeting is conducted once a month and focuses on specific agenda and recorded by the meeting secretary. Finally the result is informed the Departments and the Chancellery of the University.
2. Introducing the Faculty of Education Committees
2.1 Quality Assurance Committee
This committee is for a better and more qualified education in this Faculty and it has been active since long ago based on the main Quality Assurance Committee at the University Campus.
2.1.1 Objectives of the Quality Assurance Committee
- Providing an action plan based on weak points, threatens and opportunities
- Evaluating the action plan implementation
- Providing and implementing new programs which improves quality assurance
- Conducting ceremonies for implementation of the quality assurance programs
- Document tracking provision in standard form
2.1.2 Responsibilities of the Quality Assurance Committee throughout the Faculty
- Assessing and evaluating official publications
- Assessing and evaluating academic researches
- Assessing and evaluating administrative affairs
- Assessing and evaluating final examinations
- Assessing and evaluating the transparency in academic recruitment and promotions during the year
2.1.3 Members of the Quality Assurance Committee in the Faculty of Education
- Professor Abdullah Zala
- Assistant Professor Basir Ahmad Karimi
- Assistant professor Ms. Qusia Mastur
- Instructor Farid Ahmad Fayez
- All the heads of the Departments
2.2 Examinations Committee
It is clear that the academic standards at higher education must be specific and clear. To have this clarity, and to give better and more clear examinations, it has been agreed to have an examination committee at Faculty of Education.
2.2.1 The Examination Committee Duties
- Taking care of the examinations processes
- Cooperating examiners with regards to conducting exams on time
- Reporting the examinations processes
- Ensuring the methods of preparing questions based the syllabi
2.2.2 The examination Committee Goals
- Better justice and clearance
- Cooperating with the Departments
- Conducting the examinations in a proper way
2.2.3 Members of the Examination Committee
- Prof. Abdullah Zalal, the deputy
- Instructor, M Farid Fayez
- Assistant prof. M Esmail Seddiqi
- Instructor, Zobair Azizi
- Instructor, Ghulam Rabbani Rashiq
- Instructor, Abdul Wahab Yarmand
- Instructor Shafiq Ahamad Kahdistani
- Instructor Ab Hadi Amin
2.3 Discipline Committee
Universities are the place of learning knowledge and sciences. Observing the moral, social and religious affairs are part of the obligations. All the staff and students are supposed to observe these affairs throughout their presence at the campus.
2.3.1 Discipline Committee Duties
- Investigating students general criminal issues
- Investigating learning disputes like cheating in examinations
- Investigating religious, political and security disputes.
- Investigating moral disputes like using narcotics, wine and lack of Islamic coverage, having illegal relations and more of such cultural norms
Observing the above mentioned rules, regulations, cultural and social norms are the obligations of our faculty and are managed by the committee of order and discipline.
2.3.2 Big Disputes
Bribing, embezzlement, raping, position abusing, robbing and other such criminals do not only cause demission from faculty but are submitted to law.
Approving the above mentioned criminals is the duty of the senate meeting.
Abusing the academic achievements like:
- Presenting wrong materials/information
- Any type of cheating in examination process and results and official documents
- Abusing the learning facilities
2.4 Living Environment Committee
Any environment in which life is said to flow is called living environment. There are about 10 thousands students inside and around the campus of Education Faculty from the morning to evening. This includes two male and female high schools of Tajrabavi. Besides, there are cafes, stationaries and green places for recreation in this tiny place. Thus, this committee is needed to work on creating a good environment in the campus beside other committees. Since this committee is much more related to Geography and Biology, the memebers of this committee are more from the two mentioned departments. Moreover, a subject by the name of living enviroment is already part of the main curriculam.
2.4.1 Objectives of Environment Committee
The main objective of this committee is to create a sound environment in the campus which is far from any sorts of pollutions.
2.4.2 Responsibilities of the Environment Committee
The main responsibility of this committee is to work on the betterment of the living environment and constantly report their creativities monthly. This committee is supposed to:
- Improving the students’ knowledge of the living environment through different programs
- Creating a spirit of voluntary work in order to keep the classrooms and environments neat and clean
- Creating a green space and encouraging the students to care for it
- Setting garbage disposals as required
- Concreeting the pavements
- Cleaning the small streems in the campus
- Creating calm atmosphere without any polution
- Participating in relate seminars
- Taking care of moral issues in the campus
- Conducting related conferences and seminars
2.4.3 Members of the Committee
- The Dean
- The Deputy
- Other members from the lecturers and students
2.5 Curriculum Committee
This is one of the active committees in Faculty of Education which is formed of 13 members. The head of this committee is the dean of the faculty and the secretary is elected by the members and every member comes from a different department.
2.5.1 Membership qualifications of this committee
- Experienced lecturers having higher degrees
- Having not less than 10 years teaching experiences
2.5.2 The objectives of this committee
- the curriculam of every department must meet the local and international criteria
- the curriculum must be valid and practical
- the curriculum must help students’ capacity building
- the curriculum must be in accordance with the schools’ curriculum in Afghanistan and complement that
- the curriculum must improve the students’ professional skills
2.5.3 Members of this committee
- Prof. M Juma Hanif, the dean
- Prof. Najibullah Fariwar
- Prof. Abdulah Zalal
- Asociate prof. Ab Khalil Kahdistani
- Assistant prof. Ms Qahera Rasooli
- Assistant Prof. Ms Qudsia Mastoor
- Assistant prof. M Esmail Saddiqi
- Assistant prof. Masoud Masoudi
- Assistant prof. Basir Ahmad Karimi
- Instructor M Zobair Azizi
- Instructor Rahim Bakhsh Faqiryar
- Instructor Saraj Ahmad Pazhwak
- Instructor Ab Latif Jawid
Council of Elite Students
This council was first started by the chancellery of Heart University in the frame of students’ affairs assistance office. There are four deputies (two boys and two girls) from every faculty as the members of this council. The objectives of this council are as follow:
- Establishment of a mechanism and a specific reference on behalf of the students
- Managing the students’ scientific and cultural activities
- Providing context for the development and promotion of the social skills of the students
- Laying the groundwork for the provision of services and facilities to the students by the students
- Creating a spirit of working together, promoting a culture of peace and respecting all cultures
This council pursues the following objectives through regulation of its activities within the framework of the following committees:
- Students’ service committee
- Scientific-Cultural committee
- Peace promoting and justice committee
- Financial and communication committee
- Sport and living environment committee
- Mental Health Committee